Mrs. May Woolford has served credit union members and the community for over 46 years. The Board of Directors, staff, volunteers, and members thank Ms. May and honor her contribution to the CU community by naming January “Ms. May Month”.
Ms. May’s first day was in February 1966 and her last day was January 4, 2013. She is officially retired. Yet you still can reach Ms. May by sending your Ms. May stories and well wishes to MsMay@uscgccu.org. We’ll make sure she gets your comments and we’ll post as many as we can below.
Here are the retirement stories and well wishes we’ve heard thus far – last names have been omitted from the web posts, but Ms. May wll receive every note and full name:
- Colleen S. ~~ The credit union was my first job at age 17 (1987). Both Ms. Rose and Ms. May were great role models. I feel very fortunate that I had the opportunity to know and learn from both of them. Ms. May you are a wonderful person, inside and out. I would like to wish you a very long and happy retirement – you will truly be missed. God Bless!
- Jean-Marie G. ~~ I would like to thank you for all the help you gave me when I arrived in the States. After I came, because I was a new comer, it was difficult for me to get a loan for a Car and to get a credit-card. You helped me to apply for both of them successfully. I would like to thank you a lot for your help and kindness. In turn I wish you all the best for the New Year 2013. The Chinese new year is Feb 10th, so I wish you all the best for the year of the Snake. And hope you will enjoy your new Life which is a new beginning. Thank you again and Good luck.
- June B. ~~ It was a thrill to read in the Navigator that you are really retiring. How fortunate you have been to have enjoyed your work and working for 46 years. That is something for you and your family to be very proud about. I do remember your calm voice, your total concern in helping me understand the rules of the CGCU and subsequent application for a mortgage loan after the death of my husband (Clarence). Whenever I had a question, you were always there to ease my concern. Thank you so very much!
My husband always said, ”Go see Ms. May she will take care of you.” He had a lot of respect for you as a person and as a loan officer. He felt that you always took care of the workers from the Yard, showing no favoritism.
May you always remain as sweet as you have always been and may you have many years of enjoyable retirement. You have indeed earned it!
- Gerard C. & Mr. J. ~~ Well Ms. May you have gone and done it now. Retirement is on the way and you well deserve it. It has been a great honor knowing you and I know that I’m not alone when I say this. You are truely one of a kind. Your professionalism and customer service that you have provide me is well appreciated. You’re an awesome woman and I thank you for all that you have done for me over the 20 years of being a customer. Please enjoy your retirement!
- Mary Jo L.~~ I have been a member of the Credit Union since I was 6 years old (1969). There were two people as I grew up that I always remembered and that was Ms. Rose and Ms. May. When my parents would have to go to the Credit Union they would sometimes take us with them, and there were six kids… Throughout the years whenever I went to the Credit Union they would always ask about my parents and my brother and sisters… I got my first two car loans through the Credit Union from Ms. May.. Her and Ms. Rose made you feel like you were coming in to see old friends instead of going in to do business. Ms. May you will be missed dearly. Thanks!
- Cassandra R. ~~ Congratulations on your retirement. Just came across the news on the internet. I remember meeting you about six years ago for a loan and you gave me some great financial advice. Since then, because of the advice you privided, my finances are more organized and I even have a little savings thanks to you. :0)
- Willette G. ~~ Since 1973 when I joined the Coast Guard Credit Union, you have always been there to help me and I wish you the very best in your retirement.
- Ed L. ~~ Ms. May, congratulations on your long overdue, and much deserved retirement! You will be sorely missed by all who have had the pleasure of knowing and working with you at the credit union. As a long time patron of the credit union, and former member of the Board of Director’s I want to thank you for all you have done for me personally and professionally throughout the years. The leadership, knowledge, expertise, compassion and dedication you demonstrated, was not only an inspiration to me as an officer of the credit union, but also to your coworkers. You set an example that will be hard to duplicate!
I’m honored to have had the pleasure of knowing and working with you, and I wish you a long, happy and fulfilling retirement…enjoy!
- Rose M. ~~ When May started at the Credit Union I promised her that she would only have to post receipts – that didn’t last long – she became the best Loan Officer we ever had. She greeted our members with a smile and her pleasant ways - always respectful and sincere. May worked endless hours. She was always there for me and dedicated to the Credit Union.
May has a close loving family and will enjoy being with them. My thoughts of years working with May are all happy memories.
Good luck. Good health and thanks so much. God Bless.
- Holly ~~ It has been a joy and pleasure working with you! I will truly miss you! Your positive attitude and professionalism will forever be an example to us all, as you are definitely one to learn from. Thank you for your many years of service and for helping make the Credit Union what it is today! I wish you the best in all you do! God bless you always!
- Nellie ~~ I have found Ms. May to be a very remarkable person to work with personally and professionally. Although I have only known her for a year, I have encountered many members she assisted over the years. Ms. May you have impacted so many people’s lives in a positive uplifting way. I cannot put in words how much you will be missed. Hope you have a wonderful retirement. We will look forward to your visits.
- Sandy M. ~~ I have worked for the Coast Guard for 40 years. For several years I worked on committees and had the pleasure of knowing Ms. May both as a co-worker and customer. She has been a true friend, leader and exceptional co-worker. She has helped me many times by providing guidance and insightful information. The Credit Union can attribute much of its success to the dedication and loyalty provided by Ms. May. I will miss her ever pleasant attitude and smiling face. I wish her much happiness in her retirement.
- Laura S. ~~ I just wanted to congratulate you on your up coming retirement. I started at the yard in 1983, I will soon have 30 years myself in the government. You have helped me through the years with personal loans, auto and even a home refi with great professionalism You were always friendly and helpful, I thank you so much for your service, the credit union will not be the same without!
- Thomas B. ~~ I have known May since 1983 when I started working on the Credit Union Supervisory Committee. She was and still is hard-working, dedicated, and extremely diligent. When it came to loans, she was the answer lady. And no matter what, she was a joy to work with – always “service with a smile”!
- Phil R. ~~ I just want to thank you for all you have done for my family and me. We will miss you tremendously!!
Enjoy retirement- you certainly deserve it!!!!
- John, Carol and Jason M. ~~ When everyone said no to us, you said yes. Thanks for going to bat for us when times were hard. We appreciate all you have done for us. Hope you will enjoy your retirement with all of your family. We will never forget you.
- Steve S. ~~ It has been a great pleasure dealing with you on various loans, or working through some minor roadblocks. You’re a true “PRO” and Nancy and I wish you all the best in your retirement years. Stay healthy and God speed.
- Julian K. ~~ Thank you for over twenty-seven years you have given service with a personal touch to me. There were times when I was about to make a financial move and you were there to lead me to the best path. I also recall a phone call you made to me that saved me ten-thousand dollard. I am home now and will be doing more business with the Credit Union. Each time I call or see something that reminds me of what a true banker is I think of you.
PS take care and may God bless
- Kathy F. ~~ Ms. May, I just wanted to wish you well on your retirement. Thank you for all of your help over the years. The credit union will not be the same without you. Take care and enjoy
- Rick H. ~~ I have been a member of the Credit Union for over 40 years and a board member for over 20 years. I remember many times working with Ms May on various loans both for myself and other credit union members. She is always the true professional. She always puts our members needs first. She exemplifies what the credit union movement is all about.
Over the last 10 years she has become the face of the credit union. Members of all ages know her and ask for her by name when they have questions or they need guidance when applying for a loan. She is a big part of the continued success that our Credit Union has achieved over the years. Her joyfull smile and pleasant attitude will be missed. I wish her a very long and happy retirement.